Vinny Dotolo is one half of the culinary duo dubbed as “Kings of Dude Food”. Alongside John Shook, the pair opened Animal, a meat-centric restaurant located in L.A.’s Fairfax Village. Following the success of Animal, the duo have since opened the equally acclaimed Son of a Gun, Trois Mec, and Petit Trois.
- What hooked you on cooking?
- Mainly the kitchen culture and obviously the delicious food and the never-ending learning process.
- The coolest example of science in your food?
- I guess science happens every day in our kitchens. Looking at it from a scientific perspective, I think the transformation and cooking of proteins.
- The food you find most fascinating?
- Eggs have always kept my mind racing.
- What scientific concept–food related or otherwise–do you find most fascinating?
- Your best example of a food that is better because of science?
- Fermented foods.
- How do you think science will impact your world of food in the next 5 years?
- In general, I think understanding food and how and why things happen in the kitchen. Different techniques seem to be popping up constantly.
- One kitchen tool you could not live without?
- Vita prep.
- Five things most likely to be found in your fridge?
Jam of some kind
The baby’s food
- Your all-time favorite ingredient? Favorite cookbook?
- Lemons are my favorite ingredient, they brighten everything up! Favorite cook book is tough. I have such a diverse collection but the one that changed my life and perspective and appreciation for food is the French Laundry.
- Your standard breakfast?
- Toast and coffee.